Preserving Heritage, Integrating Communities, Moving Syrians Forward
WHO WE ARE
Syriana is a US. non-profit, grass-root organization of Syrian- Americans dedicated to heal the deep societal divisions of the Syrian war.
Reintegrating the Syrian people
Collective heritage, cross-community dialogue, and socially integrative businesses, are natural forces to help ameliorate the pains and divisions of war and forge a collective Syrian identity.
We employ a three-pronged strategy:
- Promoting collective Syrian heritage as the core of the Syrian identity by:
- preserving heritage industries
- promoting arts and literature that relay a collective narrative, and
- supporting academic research examining the structure of the Syrian communities and developing a new “theory of us”.
- Promoting cross-community dialogue via
- catalyzing dialogues between thought leaders of the different communities to identify possibilities and barriers against integration.
- educating about the value of societal reintegration as a mean to achieve the aspiration of the Syrian people of dignity and prosperity.
- Mobilizing and organizing the silent majority of Syrians as a bridge between the different communities.
- Promoting socially-integrating businesses to empower disenfranchised Syrians wherever reached by:
- integrating refugees in the economy of their host communities,
- advising Syrian small businesses and artisan workshops
- establishing stable markets for these struggling enterprises in the US